μMC1 (read “micro memory controller one” or “micro em ce one”) is a mapper and cartridge for NES and Famicom game development and production. It provides:
- Up to 512 KiB PRG-ROM backed by a modern 5V Flash IC.
- 8 KiB CHR-RAM for the PPU.
- Mapper-controlled mirroring, allowing for vertical, horizontal and single-screen mirroring.
- Self-flashability, allowing games to save progress to the Flash IC.
- No bus collisions when writing to control registers.
The μMC1 is based heavily on both the popular official MMC1. As such, it is extremely easy to develop games for it with basic MMC1 knowledgement, and easy to port games from a MMC1 or a UxROM.
This cartridge has been based around a modern but cheap Dialog GreenPAK, which acts as a mapper. This allows for more advanced features than most contemporary cartridges based on discrete logic such as the UNROM 512 or GTROM, while still keeping the budget low.
First draft of the documentation